West Cork Grouped WWTPs
This project involved the construction of 4 new Wastewater Treatment Plants and upgrading of 1 existing Wastewater Treatment Plant in the towns of Schull, Dunmanway, Baltimore, Ballylickey and Skibereen, under a single bundled design/build/operate contract.
T. J. O’Connor & Associates were engaged by Cork County Council to act as Client’s Representative in connection with this project at West County Cork. Four of the WWTPs were bundled into one DBO contract. Previously only the domestic foul sewage from Schull and Baltimore was treated in septic tanks. The wastewater from Dunmanway was treated in a WWTP comprising an Imhoff Tank, trickling filters and humus tanks. The wastewater from Skibbereen and Ballylickey was not treated prior to discharge to the receiving waters. UV Disinfection was provided at Baltimore with nutrient removal at Dunmanway & Baltimore
The works in the various towns consisted of the construction of new pumping stations, storm water tanks and Wastewater Treatment Plants, rising mains and outfalls. Treatment capacities range from 1,500 to 4,700 PE.
2004 – 2014
Consulting Engineers and Client’s Representative on Design Build Contract under the FIDIC Form of Contract with amendments.
- Preparation of outline engineering designs for each of plants
- Commissioning of marine modelling studies of outfall dispersion characteristics
- Advice to the local authority in respect of outfall discharge locations
- Preparation of Environmental Impact Assessments for the outfalls
- Assistance to the local authority in preparing foreshore licence applications
- Assessment of (freshwater) assimilative capacities for certain works
- Assistance in the preparation of an OJEU advertisement on behalf of the local authority
- Preparation of pre-qualification questionnaire
- Design and preparation of contract documents
- Preparation of Water Services Pricing Policy Reports
- PPP Assessment Report
- Public consultation and Part VIII Planning Process
- Site Investigations and Flow & Load Surveys
- Tendering and tender assessment
- Administration of Construction Contracts at the 4No. WWTPs
Find out more about our Civil Engineering services.