Galway Radiation Oncology Centre
BIM models were developed for this project using BIM software solutions and used to analyse the structural and civil engineering design elements. The project involves the design of a 3 No. storey Radiation Oncology centre (8,058 m2 total gross floorspace) incorporating 6No. linear accelerator (linac) bunkers and an enclosed single storey pedestrian link corridor on the site of the existing Psychiatric Unit on University Hospital Galway campus. The works include the demolition of the existing Psychiatric Unit and link corridor to the Paediatric Unit (3,000 m2) and the integration of the existing pedestrian link to the Paediatrics Unit and the main hospital building.
Tekla Structural Desginer analysis software was used to analyse the Reinforced Concrete cores, flat slab, column and edge beam superstructure and a 3D BIM model of the building was developed using Revit software. A separate Revit model of the 6No. RC linac bunkers was created and linked into the main model to aid with file size.
To ensure consistency in the project information and utilise the software to its ability, T. J. O’Connor & Associates ensured that all drawing deliverables works were extracted from the Revit model.
WIndes MicroDrainage computer modelling software, based on the Wallingford Procedure, was used to analyse the foul and surface water outfall rates and aid in designing Sustainable Urban Drainage systems.
AutoCAD Civils 3D software used to create a model of the existing and proposed ground surface profiles and below ground water, foul and surface water services.
The BIM software was used to analyse and design the building and services to accommodate the future vertical expansion of 2No. additional stories.
Health Service Executive
2013 – Ongoing
Structural & Civil Engineers
- Use of BIM software to design and model the project
- Tekla Structural Designer software used to analyse the structure
- Revit software used for 3D modelling of the substructure and superstructure
- All drawings extracted from the 3D Revit model
- AutoCAD Civils 3D software used to model the underground services and ground surface profiles
- Windes MicroDrainage software used to analyse the foul and surface water outfall rates and aid the design of Sustainable Urban Drainage systems
- Building and services analysis software used to design for future vertical expansion
Find out more about our Building Information Modeling services.